The local municipal sphere has been of growing interest since the social protest movement swept the country in 2011 and highlighted the need to ground abstract ambitions of social change in local initiatives. Meanwhile, ongoing reduction of government spending and social responsibility led to a converse increase in local government’s authority, and as a result also increased the need for working at the municipal level. A large part of formulating policy for education, welfare and housing now falls on local government, and it is into this growing need that SEA wishes to exert a long term and positive change.
The Community Organizing Program promotes initiatives and activism at local, community and municipal level, based on the values of social justice and equality. The programs supplies training for local activists of all types and levels of commitment and dedicated to changing policy in their home community through the development of deepend theoretical and practical knowledge regarding social-economic issues and their real world ramifications. The program is comprised of 8-12 session combining lectures, workshops and meetings with key municipal actors.
Groups from around the country, include those which came together during the 2013 municipal elections, currently still in the midst of organizing around community initiatives and in need of theoretical and practical training and supervision on issues.
1. An introduction to social-economic reality and policy in Israel; key issues in social policy.
2. An introduction to the structure and main institutions of local government, with a focus on the municipal budget and its formulation and components
3. An introduction to key social issues and their municipal manifestations – education, Welfare housing, tailored according to the identity and needs of the community or group participating in the course.
4. Community Organizing Training
1. Social-economic policy in Israel
2. The structure of local government
3. Local and central government relations
4. An introduction into municipal budgets
5. Developing budgetary literacy: how to read a municipal budget
6. Municipal policy: city planning, public housing, education etc.,
7. Local issues: varies according to community
8. Organizing community and local empowerment
Boaz Gur (Lawyer), Yifat Sollel (Lawyer), Michal Zernowitski, Rami Hod, Michal Shohat, Gay Pade, Linda Shushan.
Elad- Social policy and local government- Course for Ultra Orthodox Women. 2014
אלעד – חברה, כלכלה, שלטון מקומי. 2014
Course on Municipal Budget for Neighborhood Representatives’ from Southern Tel-Aviv and Jaffa, In cooperation with Adva Center, 2013
תקציב עירוני יפו. 2013
Municipal Budget Course, for Social Activists in Jerusalem, 2012
תקציב עירוני ירושלים. 2012
Municipal Budget Course, for Social Activists in Bet Shemesh, 2012
תקציב עירוני בית שמש 2012
Municipal Budget Course, for Social Activists in Beer Sheva, 2012
תקציב עירוני באר שבע. 2012
Training Course for activists in city council watch, Haifa, 2012
מוניציפלי. משמר מועצה. חיפה 2012
Municipal Budget Course, for Social Activists, Haifa, 2011
אסיפת עם בקרית אליעזר. ללמוד כדי לשנות
Community OrganizingContact Us